Summertime isn’t just for vacations and lounging at a lake, it’s also a big time for transferring collections! Last week Karl & Mike traveled to Salem to review the Governor Douglas McKay collection, and earlier this week I wrote about a few items Karl found in a collection delivery from the Hyslop Crop Science Field Research Laboratory.
This week Karl, Natalia, and Larry made a trip to Edith Yang’s house to pick up materials pertaining to her work as an architect in Corvallis. The collection is rich with architectural plans and sketches, but the group also found materials related to her work (e.g. professional correspondence, initiatives and petitions, project notes and reports). This is a big project and the materials are still in the processing queue…
Edith Yang passed away in May of 2012 after an active career. In looking at the many rolls of plans currently in our workroom and reading about her work, it’s clear that Yang made quite an imprint on the buildings in our community. Born in Portland in 1918, Yang was an art major at the UofO, completing her a masters degree in 1948 and a bachelors degree in Architecture in 1950. She won a Woman of Achievement Award in the 1970s and was the 8th woman in architect in the state to get a license — she was also the first minority to get a license.
She worked at OSU for 12 years as a staff architect and had her own architecture practice from 1954 to 2000. Though most of her work at OSU was in architectural drawing, for all of her career she did both design and planning work. She was inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright’s designs, which is reflected in a very special building to her — her own house in NW Corvallis.
She was also very passionate about the arts, serving as president of the Arts in Oregon Council and chair of the The Arts Center in Corvallis. Her vision of the riverfront evolved into what the riverfront is today.
We look forward to offering you more information on this collection as we unroll and process it!